Sunday, May 1, 2016

Busch Stadium II (St. Louis Cardinals)

I have officially posted all of the stadiums I have been to that are currently in operation. Now I will post a few stadiums that are no longer used. This version of Busch Stadium closed in 2005. The game I attended at this stadium was my very first ever Major League Baseball game. Three days earlier I was hit by a car in Kansas City, Missouri. I stayed in the hospital for three days.

I was released and we drove to attend a Cardinals game. Good times.

I remember quite a bit about this game even though I was only six years old. I remember both Terry Pendleton and Kevin Mitchell hitting home runs. But what I remember most about the game was the tremendous pain I would experience every time the people next to us would scoot by and bump into my severely road-rashed knees. It happened repeatedly. I wore a large beach towel over my body to protect my knees.
It helped a little but not too much. Seriously though, how many times do you have to get up and leave during a game?

Here is a link to the box score:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN198907070.shtml

5 comments:

  1. That was my first MLB game as well. I can still remember Pendeleton's homerun because he went so low to get the ball, it was like he hit it from his knees.

    We drove in with the tent trailer into the parking lot because we had come straight from Kansas City and barely made game time. They charged us double for that.

    Also, after the game, we drove around East St. Louis in the dark looking for our campsite. How we didn't have any ill befall us that night is the real miracle of that trip, your miraculous healing coming in a distant second place.

    People need to get up to go potty after so much drinking. The stadium isn't named after a beer for nothing.

    Also, you need to promote this Blog, just saying, maybe a well timed email might do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice details.

    1. I don't remember Pendleton's homer being on a low pitch, but just that he hit one out.

    2. I remember driving in with the tent trailor and barely making the game, but didn't remember being charged double.

    3. I vaguely remember driving around East St. Louis after the game, but not really. I was known to be oblivious to the dangers around me during my younger years, which is why I got hit by that car in the first place.

    4. Just another reason to not drink so much: you miss out on a baseball game that you paid money to attend.

    5. As much as I love to self-promote, I only have one stadium left, so to announce it now would be oddly timed, a la Rangers beaning Bautista in his very last at bat against Texas this season. That final stadium post should be made this Sunday. The following Sunday will be the first post of a new blog that I will start up. Lets just say that it will be on a topic near and dear to all of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the Kingdome... haven't seen that one yet. Weren't you at the game with me where Randy Johnson was fanning guys left and right, but had to leave like in the 6th because of an injury or something? Did I just dream this? It seemed like he had like 12 strikeouts through 6 or something, but my brain has been known to exaggerate at times, like that time I thought Bernardo Brito had 200+ RsBI in a single season with the Buzz. Man, that was embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kingdome is my final stadium I will be posting on Sunday. I already found the box score for the very game you reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, I can't wait to see how for off my K count for Johnson was.

    ReplyDelete