Sunday, February 21, 2016

Rogers Centre (Toronto Bluejays)

My first MLB stadiums post has to be of my favorite team's stadium - da Jays. We lived in Cleveland, Ohio for three years and managed to get up to Toronto one time to take in a series against the Seattle Mariners. It is only a bit over 4.5 hours away. Seems like we should have made the trip a few times, but we didn't.

We (myself, the Mrs. and little Trevor) went up right after my last law school exam, but prior to the graduation ceremony and bar exam study period. We stopped at Niagara Falls for a quick looksie. Proof:


But, even though we had plenty of time, I was anxious to get to the stadium, so we departed the Falls after getting the gist of it. It was a good thing we left quickly because we were only a few miles from the stadium and got caught in some extreme traffic. Super frustrating to say the least. I even got flipped off by an angry Canadian. Cassie dropped me and Trevor off at the stadium while she went to find a place to park. Trevor and I rushed in to see one out had already been recorded in the top of the first. I immediately looked to the left field fence where Joe Carter hit his World Series walk-off homer and was pretty happy to be there. We watched the rest of the top of the first from the concourse down below. Trevor and I then got settled in to our seats up high on the third base side and this usher girl was obsessed with Trevor and Trevor was flirting with her nonstop. Come on son, focus on the game.
Notice the fan in the background hanging his head. It was that kind of game. Ricky Romero (former all-star who forgot how to pitch) was called up from the minors for a spot start and King Felix was on the bump for the M's. Cassie finally made it to the stadium around the 4th inning. This picture below was taken after the game concluded. I put on a fake smile for the camera after the disappointing Jays performance.



Here is the box score (I can't figure out how to post the box score on the blog directly, so you'll have to follow the link if you care to take such a bother):

As you can see, it was a dominating performance by King Felix.

The next game was also a dud for the Jays as Iwakuma picked up right where Felix left off. Plus, R.A. Dickey made me hate more than ever the trade where they gave up Syndergaard and d'arnaud. 

It was a beautiful day for a ball game as you can see:






Here's the box score:

So after two terrible losses, the next game was huge. I did not want to drive all the way up to Toronto to watch the Jays get swept at home. Fortunately, Brandon Morrow was on the mound and he always has pitched well in the few games I've watched him pitch while in attendance. Plus, we switched to the first base side to mix it up.



Cassie tricked the Jays staff to believe that it was my birthday (because I got these tickets for my birthday a month earlier, so it was my birthday trip and an extension of my birthday). This picture below is of me while they are singing Happy Birthday to me:
And below is the girl from the first game that had a crush on Trevor. She randomly was assigned our section again on the other side of the stadium. She played with Trevor for a handful of innings.
The last game was great. Jays dominated. The worst part though was that for some reason it was pretty difficult to pick up the ball off the bat from the first base side of the field. It was weird. I could never see where the ball was hit. I just had to watch the fielders to see where they moved to. So that put a damper on an otherwise very enjoyable game. As you can see from the box score below, I finally got to fulfill my lifelong dream of seeing Mark DeRosa hit a homer and have an all around swell game.

Box score:

Cassie spent much of the last game going around getting us free Bluejays t-shirts. It was a great trip and an awesome stadium which will be even better once it gets grass (it is getting a dirt infield this year).

No comments:

Post a Comment